Us, Greeks, We have overestimated our Bottoms !!

While I was based in Brussels - three years ago- the whole Europe was discussing on the economic recession and on some "crisis". Belgium, Uk, France, Netherlands, even Germany! Dark clouds of uncertainty were coming all over Europe and it was only one country that was happy in all this : And that was Greece !!


I remember myself sitting on my nice, round, black table, reading the news on my Pc and starring outside the window and thinking: “Is it only Greece the only happy girl in the EU? Well… This is worrying… This is really worrying….”. And I have taken the decision to start equip myself against…. Against…. I didn’t know exactly at that time, but I knew Greeks, and I knew the Greek system, and I knew the Greek public system… And something was really stinking in that story….

Today, three years later, Greece is where it is …. A country that is declaring “poverty”, a country that is begging for loans, a country of protests and demonstrations, a humiliated country, a country that has been considered as being the responsible one for the European economic problems. Problems that were there three years ago, in the European zone, but who would really dare to blame the EU system for this??? No, no, the problem would never be the EU system! The problem would be Greece. Greece is the lamb that should be sacrificed; Greece is the Jesus Christ that would take on its shoulders the sins of the humanity…

But why? Why, us, Greeks, have we accepted such a role? :

Today, I live in Greece and I am Greek, but I am one of these very few Greeks -and maybe Europeans- that continues to work non-stop, without giving a shit on what is happening in Greece. I don’t hear the news, I don’t join strikes, I’m not sitting down in the Syntagma square and I don’t circulate around messages on the Facebook with all new “smart” stuff which is written on Greece’s situation. This is not lack of responsibility from my part, or lack of consciousness, or lack of information, or lack of sensitivity towards my country’s problems. This distance of mine is due to two reasons: First, sitting down in the Syntagma square protesting against the decisions of a government that I have voted myself, seems ridiculous to me; instead, I prefer to keep working: It’s much more productive, far more pleasant and more profitable: for both me and my country. Second reason: This might seem shocking, but part of me really likes the situation that Greece is today. We deserved this:

I like that I see less and less Christian Dior bags of 1000E/each hanging from shoulders of useless female creatures that have just got out from SPAs where they have paid 100E for one hour of swimming pools and hamams! I like that Immigrants from Pakistan, investors from China and workers from Albania do not come in my country anymore. I like it that Greeks are now obliged to change electricity bulbs by themselves and that they have started to invest again and come up with smart ideas on buisneship and art making. This is the  first time, after all those years of this disgusting luxury where almost all Greeks were living in, that I have travelled to Salamina today and I didn’t see any Roms around, any Pakistani try to selling me CD’s while I was enjoying my coffee at the coast. After many years, I have checked the menu and I have noticed that tea went finally down to 2,5E far away from the 7E that I was asked to pay for it, because it was “a special tea brought to me from the finest China’s lands”. I never wanted a tea coming from finest China’s lands for God’s sake !!! I just wanted a normal tea for which I would pay a normal price for a tea. Which is 2,5E !!!

Then I went to the florist asking for the decoration of the church for my wedding.. Two months ago, I was asked to give 150E for the bridal bouquet (!!), which means the price of flowers plus the work of the florist. I thought I am not Kate Middleton unfortunatelly, so I have decided to make the bouquet myself!! Still, two days ago, I was told that I would only pay for the flowers used, which means approximately 25E for my bouquet!!! Which is fair enough, I think…

I also enter in stores and I feel as a queen… Which is as I should normally feel when I go shopping and this is because I give my money to them; they don't give me their money… This is the way I should be treated. And not as a beggar as I felt three years ago when I went to Kolonaki and the employee of the store was having me there standing for centuries and then told me to rush in the fitting rooms because the store was full of clients !!…

Well, I know that I get provocative right now and I’m sure that many of you are frustrated with me. Given to the situation, I don’t blame you. But before you get frustrated with me, first open your closets and count how many Louboutin / Fendi / Jimmy Choo shoes you have and how many Vuitton bags you have and then check how many new cars you have bought over the last 10-15 years and then think of how many loans you got from the bank -usually for buying a new house- and also check how much big is your car and if you really need such a car. Also think of all those coffees that you have bought for 7E each and all those Ploutarhos you have been at nights… And then check the salary you have been taking all those years and think seriously on wether this salary could ever cover this specific lifestyle.

“Pants from silk ask for competent bottoms”, my grand-grandma used to say.

And, us, Greeks, we have overestimated our bottoms!









Σχόλια

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις από αυτό το ιστολόγιο

Ταξίδι στο Άμστερνταμ / Φεβρουάριος 2011

Γνωρίζοντας την πραγματική Ολλανδία: Ταξιδεύοντας στη Χάγη και το Delft.